Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Special Beauty of Bluebonnets, Texas State Flower

Photo By:  Lola

I found this little old Bluebonnet on our property in the fork in the road all by its self, not only was it found long after the normal time bluebonnets have long since died off for the year and gone to seed, but neither the cows, nor the horses ate it!!!   So this one is special.  Here in Texas we do not get a very long Spring before the strong heat browns almost everything until the next Spring, so when it is time for the Bluebonnets to appear, it is very exciting here in Texas and very beautiful!  You are not allowed to mow the natural wildflower, so you find them all along the highways and roadways (and if you are lucky, on your own property!).  During the couple of weeks they grace us with their beauty, people bring their kids and animals to do the traditional "Bluebonnet Pictures".  We ourselves have a family portrait in our own yard with the bluebonnets and it is one of my favorite family portraits.  My husband took a close up of one and I have it in a frame by my kitchen sink, so I can enjoy it all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment