Thursday, October 4, 2012

So I think I am becoming a Rancher


We had a pregnant cow (Oreo) that was limping and needed her foot (hoof) checked, so I helped my husband get the cow through the shoot and tricked her with "treats" to get her to hold her head out while my husband put the bar on her.  I really learned a lot....like don't wear little sandal type shoes in the sandy dirty cow pens especially here in Texas where there are FIRE ANTS!  This was the only picture I managed to get because I soon found myself actually having to help.  She wasn't be cooperative so we had to tie a rope around her hoof and then rig the rope up and over the bars for leverage, so when she finally lifted her hoof we quickly tightened the rope to hold it up in the air.  So in other words I battled the cow for control of the hoof while my husband examined it and tried not to get kicked.  He then gave her a shot to make sure no infection would take hold and then we let her out of the shoot.  I then gave her some treats for being "somewhat" good.    I like being the "treat lady" (as my husband calls me) but I must admit, the cows are not quite my favorite to hand feed.  Their tongues are very rough and then they slim you!!!!!  So I had dirty and bitten feet with nasty slimy hands that were quickly becoming sticky hands......all in a days work.

Photos By:  Lola

No comments:

Post a Comment