Friday, October 12, 2012

Have I always wanted to be a Rancher?

Fry and LuLu are saying hello

Mama and her twins come for a visit


So I was doing some recovery and was laying on the couch watching TV and found that for the second day in a row I was watching "Silverado" with Kevin Klein, Kevin Costner, Scott Glenn and Danny Glover.  It is one of my favorites.  Then I started to realize that I really liked a lot of western movies.  I love "Lonesome Dove",  "Open Range" and "All the Pretty Horses".  Then I started to remember that I was always attracted to "Cowboys"  and the rustic and farmhouse decoration styles using old worn furniture and pieces.  Oh I went through my modern faze but I have always gone back to the old things.  I use to hate going with my parents to look at antiques and I hated stoping at garage sales and now I love going to those.   I would laugh laugh laugh when my girls would moan and groan when I would drag them out to those places.  And now my oldest has some items from antique stores and flea markets in her apartment and loves it.  And my youngest has started enjoying having old western items in her room too (she is a cowgirl).  When I think back to my thoughts and likes that I had has a child, young adult and "mid" adult....I realize how much being a rancher must have been somewhere down deep inside my soul, because even though I was brought up as a city girl,  I believe this is were I was really meant to be.

In watching the movie a little more I also realized that the "Cowboys" really don't say much.  It is a lot of body language and looks, the squint of the eye, the tip of the hat and the touch of the gun hung low on the hip all are a forms of communication.  Then I started to realize that the reason those cowboys always work with animals, like horses, is that they speak the same language, body language.  If you ever get the chance to watch the documentary on Buck Brannaman, do so.  He is the "Horse Whisperer" and even helped on the set of the movie.  He is fascinating and the communication between him and horses is incredible.  But it just makes since that cowboys and horses have such a long history together being they are so much alike.  I'm glad I found my cowboy and my life I seem to be born for, but taking awhile to break down that city gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment